Scratches can be polished out of an Innovative Splashbacks surface. Depending on the severity of the scratch, a fine surface scratch/abrasion may easily be polished out using liquid polishes and soft polishing cloths. A deep etched scratch may require a more involved scratch removal process using very fine grades of wet and dry sandpaper by hand or by machine as necessary.
The following scratch removal information is to be used as a guide only. Innovative Splashbacks does not guarantee the information provided will result in the removal of scratches/abrasions in you splashback surface. The Innovative Splashbacks warranty does not cover against scratches, abrasions and/or any damage caused by conducting these and/or any other scratch removal processes.
If in doubt we recommend you consult a scratch removal professional such as Scratch Eliminator.
- Ensure Innovative Splashbacks panel surface is clean and free of any dirt, grime or dust.
- Use only clean polishing cloths.
- When sanding by hand use a wooden, rubber or foam sanding block to give a smooth flat finish.
- To avoid distortion to the splashback surface when removing scratches ensure to sand an area slightly larger than the scratch.
- Sand in circular motion using a light and gentle touch.
- Use slow speed on machines (less than 3000 rpm) at intervals no more than one minute to avoid heat build up.
- Use plenty of water with the wet/dry papers when performing wet sanding.
- Apply liquid cutting compound and polish sparingly to avoid splatter and unnecessary extended polishing time.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment when using machines.
- Ideally use wet/dry carborundum paper.
Equipment and Materials
|Sand Paper||3000 grit wet/dry and spray bottle|
|Polishing Machine||2000 to 3000 rpm electric or air driven disc type machine|
|Buff||Quality lambs wool polishing buff|
|Polishing Cloth||Soft microfiber cloth such as 3M Blue Microfiber|
|Cutting Compound||3M Perfect It Liquid Extra Cut or Kitten Liquid Extra Cut and Polish|
|Polish||VuPlex® or Plexus® or 3M Finesse Marine Liquid Polish or Kitten Liquid Polish Wax (car polish must be non-abrasive and must not contain silicone or cleaning solvents).|
For fine scratches and-abrasions
- Apply liquid polish to the target area using a soft polishing cloth. Using circular motion wipe gently over the splashback surface.
- Remove the liquid polish whilst still damp with a clean soft polishing cloth.
For moderate scratches
- Apply fine water spray to affected area.
- Sand lightly using 3000 grit wet/dry paper for a few seconds. Ensure to extend sanding area to slightly larger than the scratch.
- Wipe off sanding reside using clean soft cloth.
- Apply cutting compound liquid to area in a gentle circular motion using a new polishing cloth. Remove cut with a clean damp polishing cloth.
- Apply liquid polish to area in a gentle circular motion as outlined in above section "For Fine Scratches and Abrasions"